What's in Baby Angel's Hospital/Diaper Bag?
I’ll just say it now, packing her hospital bag was harder then I thought it was going to be. I had the perfect list to get me started but when it came time to pack her stuff I sat there like I had no idea where to start. Having a list is one thing but deciding which specific items to pick out is another… for example…. I have swaddles on her list, but which ones do I pick? Which ones are THAT special and our favorites to pick to go to the hospital with? deciding that was the hard part!
Here’s everything we are bringing to the hospital for her (minus a few outfits, they were in the wash).
When I first started my list I went to the infamous Pinterest and searched lists. While reading about a bajillion of them I created my own that I thought would fit us best.
Here’s what I packed…
1. Diaper Bag (duh!) We got ours from Buy Buy baby for $89.49 + tax and I love, love, LOVE it! It’s called “Grand Central” by Skip Hop and it is just so stylish and has so much space in it (11 pockets, 3 divided sections). If you know me well, you know I am SO not a fan of pink and would never have a diaper bag with baby animals and crazy baby prints on it (no offense to those who do-just not my taste).
2. Newborn diapers and wipes. I want to get this one out of the way before everyone wants to jump on my case about it. YES, we are cloth diapering our baby, NO we are not cloth diapering her while she is a newborn and while we are in the hospital. We bought a couple packs of newborn diapers for at the hospital and for until she fits into her adorable little cloth diapers. We have 2 newborn sized cloth diapers that we will use but for the most part we will be using natural/eco friendly disposables until she fits into her cloths. Also, YES, we ARE aware that the hospital will provide us with diapers while we are there but we refuse to use pampers, huggies, or any brand like that so we will be bringing our own to use on her little baby bum. The diapers are Earth’s best and the wipes are babyganics. They are much more expensive then store brands, huggies, pampers, Etc. but to us it is worth every dime.
3. Baby soap and lotion. Again, YES, we know that when they bathe the baby for the first time they provide the soap….BUT, we will not let them use Johnson and Johnson brand on our baby. Unless it’s some special hospital grade soap or something special they use…. they will be using the soap we have for her. We picked California baby and thankfully when my sister made our diaper cake she got travel sized California Baby soaps for it….prefect! So we are bringing a bottle of baby soap and baby lotion, oh and a travel sized California Baby diaper rash cream….Juuuuust in case.
4. Swaddles. I picked out 6 swaddles to bring, 2 will go into the hospital with us and 4 will be in our back up bag that stays in the car. Since we are using our own wipes and diapers while in the hospital we will have a “back stock” bag in the car… we hear babies pee and poop a lot so we want to be prepared and not have to resort to the hospitals stuff.
5. 2 blankets. We are bringing my favorite grey Cozy Aden and Anais muslin blanket and the blanket my husbands Grandma made for baby girl. We are bringing them mostly for the sake of photos but also for the ride home since she will be born in the middle of the winter….Brrrr!
6. Burp Cloths. You might remember when I first found out we were expecting I went on a mad sewing spree and sewed her the coolest burp cloths and matching bibs ever! It was hard to decide which ones to bring but of course I had to pick the Star Wars ones I made with the new Star Wars movie coming out 2 days after her due date! Honestly I don’t remember how many burp cloths I packed… maybe 2 or 3?
7. Medical/beauty kit. The little pink and black bag in the middle is full of random medical and beauty/grooming items. I’m pretty sure I won’t need this in the hospital but I’m thinking I will want it in her diaper bag for after so I thought I’d just pack it now. This is what’s inside and it runs around $20.00
8. Dr. Bronners lavender hand sanitizer- Organic AND fair trade?! LOVE IT, and It smells great ! It’s a little bit pricey at around $5.00 for the 2oz bottle but again, you get what you pay for and it is SO worth it! This will be a staple in our diaper bag.
9. Clothes. Holy moly this was by far the hardest part. I don’t want to overpack but at the same time I want to make sure that we have enough just in case something happens or we have a longer stay in the hospital. I packed 3 beanies (one for right when she’s born- it is SO adorable) and 2 to pick from for when we leave the hospital. 3 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of mittens, 2 newborn sleeper, a 0-3 month sleeper, and her going home outfit. I packed both newborn and 0-3 month size because right now we don’t know how big she is but when my doctor does our last ultrasound in a few weeks I might adjust it when we get an estimate of how big she is…
10. Oh, and don’t forget the carseat! We are going to instal ours and then go to the local sheriffs station to have them check it to make sure everything s done correctly. We were told by 2 people to do this so- were doing it! Doesn’t hurt!
I’m sure ill be adding and taking away items from her bag but this is what I have packed as of now. I’ll update this blog post if anything major changes!
Thanks for reading, did I forget something? Comment below and let me know if I missed anything or if you have any suggestions!
XOXO Love Always, Miyuki